fredag 12. mars 2010

Catcher In The Rye; Still Reading, Almost Finished

I have now read 2/3 of the book, and I enjoy it even more. I actually think it is a very funny book and I like how the author have made some letters italic to make it more verbal and to let the readers know where the pressure lies in the word to get the whole sense of the sentence. For example in this excerpt from the book on page 75:

"I stopped having a conversation with him, if he was going to get so damn touchy about it. But he started it up again himself. He turned all the way around again, and said, 'The fish don't go no place. They stay right where they are, the fish. Right in the goddamn lake.' 'The fish - that's different. The fish is different. I'm talking about the ducks,' I said.'What's different about it? Nothin's different about it,' Horwitz said. Everything he said, he sounded sore about something. 'It's tougher for the fish, the winter and all, than it is for the ducks, for Chrissake. Use your head, for Chrissake.' "

And it goes on like this further in the book as well. Because of the negative attitude of the main character, it is kind of a depressing book. However, the sarcastic and dark humour makes it amusing and witty. In addition, it brings up some everyday topics which you can relate too. All in all, my opinion is that this book is rather good and I believe everyone should at least read it once.



1 kommentar:

  1. Thank you for your comments about the book. Holden is a very negative person. This is a book people like or don't like! I agree with you. it is a book everyone should read!

    SvarSlett